Change Contrast

  • White/Black
  • Standard

Current Style: Standard


Archives Acquires Dave Rock Collection

St. Thomas Fire Department, 1877

Former Elgin County Warden Dave Rock has donated to the Archives a large collection of documents, photographs and research files documenting the history of the St. Thomas Fire Department, 1877-ca. 2000. The collection also includes records documenting the history of ambulance services in the City of St. Thomas and Elgin County, ca. 1930-ca. 1970. The accompanying photograph from the Dave Rock Collection shows the St. Thomas Fire Department at the Southwick Street Fire Hall in St. Thomas, 1877.

Archives Acquires Wilfred Smith Collection

Stalter Gully Bridge, Malahide Township, ca. 1922

The Archives has acquired the Wilfred Smith Collection, comprising more than 50 glass-plate negatives and black and white photographs showing scenes in Aylmer and East Elgin, 1916-1936. The accompanying photo shows the construction of the Stalter Gully Bridge, County Road 42 (Nova Scotia Line), lots 27 and 28, concessions 1 and 2, Township of Malahide, ca. 1922. The bridge was demolished and replaced in 1966. The collection has been digitized and published via our online database.

New Virtual Exhibit on Elgin County Courthouse

Elgin County Courthouse, St. Thomas, 1936

The Archives has designed and published a new virtual exhibit outlining the history of the Elgin County Courthouse in St. Thomas, a provincial historic site originally constructed 1852-1853 to satisfy conditions outlined in 14 & 15 Vic. C.5, 2 August 1851, which provisionally granted Elgin County’s petition to separate from Middlesex County, contingent on the erection of a Court House and jail. One of the earliest extant pre-Confederation courthouses in Ontario, it is currently the focus of a multi-...

Archives Launches New Web Database Search Interface

The Archives has launched a new web database search interface. Among many improvements, the new search experience allows users to select items retrieved in a search to a list which they can print, save or email; to directly request additional information about items retrieved from search results; and to more easily request photograph reproductions.

Steve Peters Papers Now Available

The Archives has completed processing the papers of Steve Peters, comprising administrative files relating to his service as Alderman and Mayor of the City of St. Thomas from 1988 to 1999. File-level descriptions are available at Preliminary processing is currently underway on a second accession of Mr. Peters’ papers, comprising legislative and constituency office files relating to his service as MPP for Elgin-Middlesex-London, Ontario Minister of Agriculture and Labour, and Speaker...

New Website design

The Archives, in collaboration with Guelph, Ontario-based Giant Goat Web Development, has completed a re-design of its website incorporating Drupal open-source content management software. As a result of this re-design, the Archives is one of the first institutions of its kind in Canada to employ responsive web design, which allows for seamless adaptation of layout for display on all devices and browsers.