Try the following resources if you are just beginning your research into your family history.
It is important to determine the location to begin your search (did your ancestors live in a specific area of Elgin County, in another area of Ontario, or another province or country?) It is also helpful to specify the approximate date, or date range when your ancestors lived.
Staff members at all Elgin County Library branches are happy to assist you by recommending resources where you can begin your search.
The following websites will be useful in taking the first steps:
Elgin County Branch, The Ontario Genealogical Society
Discovering your roots in Elgin
Elgin County Archives
Using the Archives
Archives of Ontario
Discovering Your Family History: Getting Started
Library and Archives Canada - Canadian Genealogy Centre
Tracing Your Ancestors in Canada
National Archives - United Kingdom
Research Guide: Looking for a Person?
U.S. National Archives
Starting Genealogy and Family History Research
The following books can be borrowed from any Elgin County branch Library, and may assist you in planning, and proceeding with your search:
- Trace your roots: know your genealogy and explore your family history by Maureen Vincent-Northam, 2012. eBook.
- Discover your family history online : a step-by-step guide to starting your genealogy search by Nancy Hendrickson, 2012. eBook.
- Mastering online genealogy by W. Daniel Quillen, 2011.
- Everything Family Tree Book: Research And Preserve Your Family History by Kimberly Powell, 2010. eBook
- Destination Canada : a genealogical guide to immigration records by Dave Obee, 2010.
- Genealogy online for dummies by Matthew Helm, 2011.
- The complete idiot's guide to genealogy by Christine Rose, 2005.
- Ontario genealogy for beginners by Ruth M. Burkholder, 2000.
- Uncovering your ancestry through family photographs: how to identify, interpret and preserve your family's visual heritage by Maureen A. Taylor, 2000.
- Discovering your roots in Elgin: a guide to genealogical resources in Elgin County, Ontario by the Ontario Genealogical Society Elgin County Branch, 1999.