The library’s Internet access is intended primarily as an information resource which allows users to connect to electronic resources outside the library.
The Elgin County Library has provided public access Internet stations and wireless connectivity as part of its mission to provide access to resources for life-long learning and enhanced local and global communications.
The Internet contains material that is inappropriate for viewing by the general public, particularly children. As a result, the library subscribes to an Internet filtering service in order to attempt to block access to inappropriate sites but does not guarantee that all inappropriate material will be blocked. Parents or guardians are expected to monitor and supervise their children’s use of the Internet. Children 8 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult. Library users who find any Internet sites which can be viewed in the library to be inappropriate may fill out a Statement of Concern about Internet Sites form which can be obtained from library staff.
To maximize Internet availability and to ensure fair accessibility for all, patrons must follow these rules and procedures.
- Utilization of the Elgin County Library’s Internet services, both through the library’s public access computers and the wireless network, requires a valid library card and PIN number. In-branch public access computers can be booked for a one-hour session utilizing the library’s reservation software (where applicable) or in-person at the library.
- Users of the library’s public access computers may book a one-hour session. Reservations will be held for 10 minutes after the scheduled start time either in-person or utilizing the library’s automated booking software (where applicable). Visitors may register for a temporary guest user card upon presentation of suitable identification. This visitor card can be used for accessing public access computers and the wireless network.
- There are no restrictions on the length of sessions for usage of the wireless network. However, in-library usage is restricted to hours of operation
- Upon arrival, a user with a booking must sign in at the circulation desk.
- Due to space limitations, no more than two people are permitted at a station at one time.
- Use of personal software programs is not permitted.
- Users who wish to save files may purchase storage media from the library or use a personal storage device. All downloading must be done during the one-hour session.
- Printing and scanning services are available for a fee. Staff can inform patrons of the appropriate fees. It is up to the patron to be informed of relevant fees prior to printing or scanning.
- Staff may assist users should time and knowledge permit.
- Misuse of the computer, including any violation of the code of ethics, will result in the loss of library privileges.
Code of ethics for Elgin County library public access internet stations and wireless connections
All users of electronic information sources such as the Internet are expected to use these resources in a responsible manner, consistent with the educational and informational purposes for which they are provided and to follow the rules and regulations of the library providing these resources.
Responsible, ethical use of the Internet includes:
Using the Internet for educational, informational and recreational purposes only; not for unauthorized, illegal or unethical purposes.
Unacceptable and inappropriate use of the Internet includes but is not limited to:
- Accessing sites or transmitting materials which violates any Canadian federal or provincial law or County by-law, such as defamatory, discriminatory or obscene material.
- Accessing sites or tools dedicated to computer/network hacking.
- Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others.
- Sending, receiving, or displaying text/graphics which are illegal or may reasonably be construed as obscene or offensive. This includes sending junk mail (spamming) to a large number of e-mail addresses.
- Making unauthorized copies of copyrighted material.