Elgin County Library has a large collection of print materials relating to the history of the County of Elgin and the surrounding municipalities. Our collection of resources in each branch ranges from newspaper indexes, cemetery listings, and genealogy handbooks, to census listings, marriage registers, and community histories. There are also a number of family histories. The book collection can be found on the library catalogue, and holds can be placed for materials to be delivered to any of the 10 branch libraries throughout the County.
Elgin County Library has a rich collection of documents relating to the history of the County.
- Mahlon Burwell's Report on the feasibility of a road from Port Stanley to St. Thomas, July 1821.
- Map labeled No. 2 (no other title or identifying information). Shows a road, or proposed road, leading from what would be the 6th Concession of Bayham Township along Big Otter Creek to the mouth of the Creek.
- Petition of settlers in Bayham to alter a proposed road leading from the Talbot Road to the mouth of Big Otter Creek. Filed January 11, 1821.
- Petition of the inhabitants of Bayham to alter a road from Little Otter Creek to the top of Spring Creek Hill. Petition dated March 20, 1822.
- Bond obligating William Hatch, Thomas Nevil and Nathan Caswell to turn over land to the Crown for a road from Little Otter Creek to Spring Creek. Dated at Bayham May 6, 1822.
- Petition from Bayham requesting that a road from Houghton Township along the Lake Shore to the mouth of Big Otter Creek be altered. Dated at Bayham, March 7, 1822.
- Vine Family Genealogy
- Postcard pictures from Elgin County communities:
- West Lorne
- New Glasgow
- Port Glasgow